0:15 – Introductions
1:30 – What We’ve Been Playing, Part 1
6:40 – Games Other People Play
15:10 – Games We Never Beat
17:05 – What We’ve Been Playing, Part 2
30:05 – Console Hardware Revisions and Console Wars
47:10 – Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Companion Apps
52:50 – Let’s Rant about Steam Again!
1:07:15 – Console Streaming and Weird Console Apps
1:13:45 – 3DS StreetPasses, Other Nintendo Networking Systems, and the NX
1:27:35 – Food and Cooking in Games
2:03:25 – Weird Wii Games
2:06:50 – Telltale Frustrations, Detective Work, and Batman
Download Link: https://archive.org/details/avocadogamescast_ep9
*Please note that since this podcast was recorded before the Nintendo Switch reveal, we make a lot of references to the NX.
Linkdump after the jump.
What We’ve Been Playing, Part 1 (1:30)
- PT wasn’t referring to Fez, but to Persona 3 FES, which is an expansion for Persona 3. (Source: Wikipedia)
Games Other People Play (6:40)
- Emerald Weapon is an ultra-powerful optional boss from Final Fantasy VII. (Source: Final Fantasy Wiki on Wikia)
- Streamer Benjamin Gwin beat Dark Souls using DK Bongos. (Source: Destructoid)
- Official website for Piggyback guides.
- A video guide for beating the Capra Demon from Dark Souls. (Source: TerraMantis on YouTube)
Games We Never Beat (15:10)
- Far Cry and Crysis were the first and second games developed by Crytek. (Source: Wikipedia)
What We’ve Been Playing, Part 2 (17:05)
- Junkenstein’s Revenge gameplay from Overwatch. (Source: TFS Gaming on YouTube)
- Lord Stoneheart was correct: Horde mode was introduced in Gears of War 2. (Source: Gearspedia on Wikia)
Console Hardware Revisions and Console Wars (30:05)
- Clarification: The upcoming new PS4 model is called the PS4 Pro. Neo was the codename. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Azure is Microsoft’s cloud computing platform.
- Details of the limited “legacy console” support for Destiny. (Source: Bungie)
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller trailer. (Source: Xbox on YouTube)
Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Companion Apps (47:10)
- Polygon’s review of PlayStation VR mentions some graphical shortcomings.
- Oculus did indeed disable Gear VR on Samsung Note 7 phones for fear that people would set their faces on fire. (Source: The Verge)
Let’s Rant about Steam Again! (52:50)
- Official website for SteamOS.
- It appears that Gears of War 2, 3, and Judgment are not coming to Windows, or at least have not yet been announced for Windows, even under the Play Anywhere initiative. (Source: Wikipedia)
- I won’t dignify Steam’s sale of RWBY with a link. Instead, go watch it on YouTube. (Source: Rooster Teeth on YouTube)
Console Streaming and Weird Console Apps (1:07:15)
- Review of the Microsoft Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera. (Source: CNET)
- GameSpot forum thread about the weird shit people saw playing Uno over
- Wikipedia article about the Xbox 360 version of 1 vs. 100.
- Wikipedia article about PlayStation Home.
- Wikipedia article about Life with PlayStation.
- Official website for Folding@home.
3DS StreetPasses, Other Nintendo Networking Systems, and the NX (1:13:45)
- Wikipedia article about network effects. The 3DS StreetPass system is an example of something that has network effects; the more people who use the system, the more advantageous it is to use the system.
- GameSpy shut down in 2013. (Source: Wikipedia)
- We now know what the Nintendo NX is: it’s a portable/home console hybrid called the Nintendo Switch. (Source: Wired)
- The Nintendo NX subreddit, which is no longer so sad now that the Switch has been
Food and Cooking in Games (1:27:35)
- Making a recipe from the Pillars of Eternity cookbook. (Source: Leksi Wins on YouTube) Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find a PDF of the cookbook online anywhere.
- Potluck Stew and toast from Final Fantasy XV. (Source: Final Fantasy Wiki on Wikia)
- A cooking contest from Suikoden II. (Source: Mustafa on YouTube)
- The Cannibal perk from the Fallout series. (Source: Fallout Wiki on Wikia)
- The creator of the SaGa series was Akitoshi Kawazu. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Trailer for the Final Fantasy XV VR Experience. (Source: IGN on YouTube) PLAY AS PROMPTO.
- Nathan and Elena eating dinner together in Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. (Source: Duck360Gaming2 on YouTube)
- Food item list for Star Ocean: The Second Story. (Source: RPGC Shrines)
- Cooking guide for Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight. (Source: GameFAQs)
- Gibier Curry Rice from the aforementioned game. (Source: Neoseeker)
- An explanation of chirality. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Shadow Broker Dossiers on Grunt from Mass Effect. (Source: Mass Effect on Wikia)
- Steam store page for Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Weird Wii Games (2:03:25)
- A Game Grumps let’s play of Deadly Creatures. (Source: YouTube)
Telltale Frustrations, Detective Work, and Batman (2:06:50)