0:15 – Introductions
2:00 – What We’ve Been Playing
25:10 – Delayed Games
39:00 – The Business of Making Games
49:30 – Cancelled Games
56:10 – Obsidian and Scummy Bethesda Behaviour
1:00:35 – PC Ports of Japanese Games
1:03:40 – Team Bondi and the Australian Development Scene
1:12:00 – The Voice Actors’ Strike and Failed Segues
1:22:25 – The Backlog
1:49:45 – Gaming in the ‘90s
1:55:35 – The Backlog, Pt. 2
2:09:25 – Nü-Metal and Gaming (We’re Sorry)
2:14:30 – Conclusion
Download Link: https://archive.org/details/avocadogamescast_ep11
Linkdump after the jump.
- There is actually a surprising amount of erotic Suikoden fanfiction. Read at your own risk. (Source: Archive of Our Own)
- Yuri!!! On ICE is available for your viewing pleasure. (Source: Crunchyroll)
- Team Bondi is a now-defunct Australian video game developer. (Source: Wikipedia)
What We’ve Been Playing (2:00)
- Wikipedia article for the Devil May Cry series.
- The development history of Resident Evil 4. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Gloria’s introduction in Devil May Cry 4. (Source: MADEBYShonexX on Youtube)
- Wikipedia article on video game designer Kim Swift.
- Steam store page on Sid Meier’s Civilization V.
- Bruce Wayne from Batman: The Telltale Series. Michael from Grand Theft Auto V. You decide. (Sources: PC Gamer and The GTA Place)
- Steam store page for Shadow Complex Remastered.
- Steam store page for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI.
- Steam store page for Batman: Arkham Knight. Buy at your own risk.
- Steam store page for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
- Origin store page for Titanfall 2.
- Some Titanfall 2 screenshots: a sideways pre-fab neighbourhood; a happy robot; and a sad robot.
Delayed Games (25:10)
- Persona 5’s Western release was delayed from February 14th, 2017 to April 4th, 2017. (Source: Persona Central)
- Final Fantasy XV’s global release was delayed from September 30th, 2016 to November 29th, 2016. (Source: Kotaku)
- Both Hello Games head Sean Murray and Jason Schreier of Kotaku received death threats for (reporting on) No Man’s Sky’s delay. (Source: Kotaku)
- Prototype was delayed from mid-2008 to mid-2009. (Source: Engadget)
- Gravity Rush 2 was delayed from early December, 2016 to January 20th, 2017. (Source: Polygon)
- Here’s Kotaku misreporting the release date of Gravity Rush 2 after the delay was announced.
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 teaser trailer, released back in 2008. (Source: Machinima on YouTube)
- The bugs in Assassin’s Creed Unity were so egregious that even the BBC reported on them.
The Business of Making Games (39:00)
- A translated interview with Keiji Inafune after his departure from Capcom. (Source: NeoGAF)
- The Jimquisition on how Square Enix meddled with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
- Evolve’s DLC bullshit. (Source: PC World)
- The Wikipedia article on Death Stranding contains most of what we know about it so far, and it’s not a whole lot.
- Plot summary of The Engima of Amigara Fault. (Source: Wikipedia)
Cancelled Games (49:30)
- Wikipedia article on BioWare’s cancelled Shadow Realms.
- Mega Man Universe’s debut trailer. (Source: XboxViewTV – Gameplay & Trailers on YouTuber)
- Wikipedia article on Bethesda’s cancelled Prey 2.
- Backspace, a sort of sci-fi Skyrim with time travel,
was under early development at Obsidian. (Source: Kotaku)
Obsidian and Scummy Bethesda Behaviour (56:10)
- Clarification: Pillars of Eternity was at one point the most-funded video game software
Kickstarter. Now it is fourth behind Shenmue 3, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and Torment: Tides of Numenera. (Source: Kickstarter)
- Paradox Interactive published Obsidian’s Tyranny. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Bethesda’s new review policy is to send out review copies one day before release. Fuck Bethesda. (Source: Polygon)
PC Ports of Japanese Games (1:00:35)
- Modder Durante’s fix for Dark Souls. (Source: Nexus Mods)
- Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on Steam.
Team Bondi and the Australian Development Scene (1:03:40)
- Wikipedia article on Whore of the Orient. (We apologize for the title.)
- Correction: Pandemic Studios was bought by Electronic Arts. Ben may have been thinking of Blue Tongue Entertainment, which was acquired and then shuttered by the now-defunct THQ. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Correction: 2K Australia and 2K Marin are different studios, the latter being California-based. Both worked on BioShock 2.
The Voice Actors’ Strike and Failed Segues (1:12:00)
- Michael Hollick, the voice and mo-cap actor for Niko Bellic in Grand Theft Auto IV, complained about receiving no residual pay for his work on the game. (Source: The New York Times)
- SAG-AFTRA’s strike demands. (Source: SAG-AFTRA)
- The rumour for why Persona 5 was delayed. (Source: Reddit)
The Backlog (1:22:25)
- Official website for the PlayStation Plus service.
- Launch trailer for Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. (Source: Ubisoft on YouTube)
- All the non-mainline Assassin’s Creed games. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Steam store page for realMYST.
- Steam store page for Honey Rose: Underdog Fighter Extraordinaire.
- Steam store page for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- The Witcher, the first game in the series, was built on the Aurora Engine. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Steam store page for XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
- Steam store page for Clannad.
- Steam store page for Bastion.
- Steam store page for Inside.
- Aeris dies to the Seinfeld theme. (Source: jaroshbarksdale’s channel on YouTube)
Gaming in the ‘90s (1:49:45)
- The now-defunct Cyrix Corporation. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Matrox now focuses on niche and enterprise markets for their graphics chips. (Source: Wikipedia)
- 3dfx Interactive, the now-defunct manufacturers of Voodoo graphics cards.
- Some of the bugs present in SiN at launch. (Source: Wikipedia)
- We couldn’t find the speedrun PT mentioned, but here’s a speedrun of GoldenEye 007 that uses some of the same tactics. (Source: RayanaIsran on YouTube)
- GoldenEye 007 was remade and released in 2010. (Source: Wikipedia)
The Backlog, Pt. 2 (1:55:35)
- Steam store page for Rise of the Tomb Raider.
- This article about Final Fantasy XV has a lot of pictures of its food. (Source: The Verge)
- Steam store page for Undertale.
- Correction: Undertale beat out The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to win the GameFAQs poll, not a Mario game. (Source: GameFAQs)
- Steam store page for Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.
Nü-Metal and Gaming (We’re Sorry) (2:09:25)
- Stuart Chatwood, a member of Canadian rock group The Tea Party, wrote the
soundtrack for all three games in the Sands of Time trilogy, though he was joined on the third by Israeli-American composer Inon Zur. (Source: Wikipedia)
- Godsmack’s “I Stand Alone,” an instrumental version of which was featured in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. (Source: GodsmackVEVO on YouTube)
- Trailer for the Fight Club video game. (Source: GameNewsOfficial)
- Fred Durst’s entrance from WWE Raw. (Source: Nuttothawat on YouTube)
- The Matriarch Benezia boss fight from Mass Effect. (Source: IGN Walkthroughs on YouTube)